Vegetarian paneer chickpea burger patty
Burgers are such a family favourite at my place. We pretty much know where they serve the best burgers in most of the major cities in the Netherlands as we frequent them so much, and have burger evenings with close friends! But when it comes to making burgers at home, I really enjoy the process of developing vegetarian, or vegan patties. I love the fact that so many delicious and nutritious ingredients can be combined into a tiny disk and layered under so many crunchy munchy additions to have the most amazing bites for lunch & dinners. This specific recipe was developed when I needed to empty my fridge - true story! But I am now left with a recipe that will be a regular on our dinner tables. The burger itself turned out to be so crunchy, juicy, and flavorful, that I couldn't help have a second one that evening! I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Prepares - 8 burger patties
Time to prepare - 15 minutes
Time to cook - 20 minutes
- 1 tin/250-300gm cooked chickpea
- 1 red onion
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- 1 small carrot
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves & stalk
- 200 gm paneer
- 8 tbsp oats
- 4-5 tbsp plain flour
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry the burger patty
- Blitz all the hard ingredients and flavoring (1-8) in a food processor until they break down into tiny pieces. Then add the soft ingredients (9-11), and salt and blitz until smooth. At the juncture if the mixture is too liquidy, add a few tbsp of oat and flour to dry out the liquid.
- Form patties out of the ingredients and shallow fry in oil. Alternatively, one can brush some oil on top and bake/airfryer at 200 degrees celsius for 15 minutes on each side in the oven, and 10 minutes in the airfryer in total.
- Combine with leaves, sauces, and burger of your choice and enjoy!